Thursday, June 9, 2011

My Harry Potter Obsession

On July 15th Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 is going to open in the cinemas, the phenomena of the generation. *excited*

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Portrait Posters)When the first film, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, came out it was just magical to me. I was 10 – almost 11 – and a bunch of 11-year-olds were being recruited to study in Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. At time, even with my unelaborate imagination you can dream so big. Walking down the hall’s isle and being sorted into your house. I wanted to be a Gryffindor, obviously, but later I realized that I was a Hufflepuff and now it seems like I am a Ravenclaw.

As the years went by the movies got darker and darker, if you know what I mean. Eventually in 10th grade (2007, 2008) I got all the 7 books in the series and read them all, that is when I thought I have gathered enough English knowledge to understand them and I was exposed to the beauty of audiobooks. Since I finished the series I read this one, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, several times whereas I read the others and never opened/relistened them again except for the Dumbledore’s year closing speech mentioning Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Obviously I enjoy the final book most and I cry every time I read it, even during the epilogue. (If you’ve read the book, you know it’s a little absurd to cry reading it.) In the end, I ended up liking Severus Snape the most. He was a hero, not really in some sense, but he was.

I feel like the magic world do exist (not really) and the characters that J.K. Rowling created, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Fred, George, Ginny, Hagrid, Albus, Minerva, Tom a.k.a Voldemort, Sirius, Remus, Tonks, Draco, Dobby and every one else whose names are mentioned all existed and moved the earth – or the grounds of British Isles, especially Scotland (Hogwarts is in Scotland). Everyone had a role and each one of them had some influence on the series. I loved connecting with the characters. It was Stephen Fry’s doing partly (He read the audiobook of British English version).

Even though, the phenomena that shook my generation is going to end in just a month I feel – I know that this will be spoken for generations ahead and it will represent the magic of my generation. I am sure that I’ll be weeping when the cast runs out from the screen in the theatre, but I won’t hide them. It will be a marvelous moment of my life – I hope. Until that day comes, bare with me and if you want, weep with me.

P.S. I managed to get my hands on the portrait posters for download at the moment. But you can see the full size posters here.

P.P.S. The words Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw had that red line under them indicating they are not proper English words, whereas  Hogwarts, Gryffindor didn’t.