Wednesday, November 20, 2013

'Free to Choose' the 'Mystery of Capital'

Hello people of the internet,

I just wanted to share with you an observation I made for almost 4 years. In my freshman year of college, my Economics professor gave us assignment to write up review essays for two books that we were supposed to have read during the semester: Milton Friedman's Free to Choose: A Personal Statement and Hernando de Soto's The Mystery of Capital: Why Capitalism Triumphs in the West and Fails Everywhere Else. When I finished up the books and wrote my reviews, I shared them online and also embedded them on this blog (see the blog post here). That was December 5, 2009.

You gotta keep in mind that I was just a freshman and that post is my second most read post on this blog with 2018 hits as of now. This week it became the most read post. The hits soar especially around this time of the year. My guess is that the student who got the same assignment are searching for an outside review for their own and stumble upon mine. Hence the hits.So I just Googled the book titles online and guess what kind of results came up. The Scribd document link for Free to Choose was the first result (2,733 hits) and  the link for The Mystery of Capital was the 4th result (2,358 hits). No wonder the hits are coming along.

I hope my reviews were helpful,
Anu